This Sunday, we have prepared a recipe for something sweet, but still healthy, where the main ingredient are chestnuts, tasty and healthy symbol of fall.
We see chestnuts as a delicacy which does not make up a significant part of our diet. But actually, they used to be a valuable source of nutrition in many cultures. When buying chestnuts in a shop, pay attention to the center, it can’t be too dry and don’t put off preparing them because they go bad quite fast. Let’s go over the health benefits of chestnuts.
10 REASONS FOR EATING CHESTNUTS
1. They contain many vitamins – potassium, iron, copper, zinc, calcium, phosphorus but also vitamins B1, B2, B6
2. Rich in proteins – good for sportsmen for muscle regeneratio
3. High amount of vitamin C
4. By eating chestnuts regularly, you improve blood circulation
5. Chestnuts have other health benefits as strengthening heart and lung activity
6. Even breastfeeding moms won’t hear a bad word about chestnuts because they support the production of breastmilk
7. No fructose and glucose
8. Improve digestion
9. They contain less fat than other nuts
10. They improve memory and concentration
CHESTNUT AND CHOCOLATE BREAD
– 100g of dark chocolate (70%)
– 3 eggs
– 65g of butter
– 5 tablespoons of honey (maple syrup)
– 210g of chestnut purée (without sugar)
– handful of almonds (almond butter or cashews)
We prepared the puree at home, we wanted to know whether some bad chestnuts didn’t make their way into it. 🙂 That’s why you can find a recipe for the puree as well (without adding sugar and rum).
Chestnut puree recipe
We wash the chestnuts, cut them a bit in the middle with a sharp knife and put into a pot. Add water and boil for about 30 minutes. Leave to drip after they are done. We cut them completely when they are still warm and scrape out the insides into a bowl with a small spoon. Squish them through a sieve or a strainer. Add butter to the mass smoother.
– preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
– put almonds in water, peel them after 15 minutes and crush them into smaller pieces with a rolling pin
– melt the chocolate, butter and honey in water
– add chestnut puree, egg yolks and almonds
– whip the egg whites and add to the mass
– put into the oven for 30 – 45 minutes
If we don’t have enough chestnuts, or you find out that more of them were bad rather than good as we did, feel free to afdd 2 bananas. 🙂
So, this is how beautifully it turned out after 40 minutes, we left it to cool off for 20 minutes and then sliced it. If you prefer juicer cakes, we recommend to pour hot raspberriies over it. 🙂
Have a nice rest of this Sunday. 🙂
Leave us a comment with your favorite chestnut recipe, we will be happy to hear any tips and ideas!
Katka and Iva